- This event has passed.
Transmedial Storytelling course at the IT University of Copenhagen
August 24, 2015 @ 8:00 am - December 1, 2015 @ 5:00 pm
The computer crosses boundaries between previously separate fields of communication, or media. This is exemplified with the boundaries between traditional media, but also between humans and technology, and between the public and private. The computer is transmedial not just in how it comprises several traditional media, but also through how it creates liminal space; it blurs the boundaries between the different modes of communication. This makes it easy to use digital media to create new connections and new meaning in mediated spaces, and offers new understandings of the range of users of a text, as they emerge beyond traditional positions of producers and audience.
This is a benefit for artistic expression, individual identity formation, and professional strategic communication. In order to demonstrate how transmedial storytelling is rising as the new communication standard, this course focuses on three aspects of the computer as a transmedial technology:
1. Transmedial stories: How we follow trends and stories across media, and how the computer connects them.
2. Transmedial technologies: We look at games, video, music, art, literature, and how the computer offers users new communication strategies and options.
3. Transmedial targeted communication: How to think critically on planned communication across media, targets and strategies.
After following this course, the student should be able to:
• Analyse how the user changes position between audience and producer depending on media modalities and across mediacities.
• Explain and discuss how a story or a concept can be presented in different ways depending on the mode of the medium used to communicate.
• Recognize and plan for the affordances and limitations of media modalities.
• Outline a transmedial campaign or story, and justify the plan from concepts in the curriculum.
• Analyse existing examples of transmedial campaigns or stories.